Orangeship Troopers
A Starship Troopers / Kimagure Orange Road spamfic
By Lara
[email protected]


{These characters are not property of me. I would never attempt to claim them as my own. This story may not be used without my permission, and may not be used to make money in any way, shape or form. Characters and certain situations were created by Izumi Matsumoto and based upon the movie Starship Troopers, so don't try any funny stuff!}

by Lara Bartram

a Spamfic

She didn't want to sound too... stuck up, but she was damn proud over her 96% math score. Madoka came about as close to being excited as she normally did. Still, it was enough to bring a smile to Kyosuke's lips.

"That's great!"

Madoka smiled at him and took him in a sudden hug. "Thank you," she whispered and kissed his cheek.

Kyosuke blushed and tried to cover his embarrassment by checking his own scores. He punched up his personal ID number to view his score, and immediately got a sinking feeling. On the screen, as his math score, in big red letters, appeared 35%.

"Wow! You did better than we thought you would." Manami and Kurumi came up behind him to add to his humiliation. "Bro, you're a born natural."

***

Madoka handed the man behind the desk her papers. "And what are you going to do, young lady?" he asked.

"I'm going to be a pilot," she answered, smiling.

"I'm sure you'll be a good one. We need all the pilots I can get." He stamped her papers and handed them back.

Manamai and Kurumi pushed around Kyosuke to hand the man their papers.

"I can't believe you two. What about..."

"Oh, big brother, you're so..." Kurumi began.

"Wishy washy!" Manami finished.

The man stamped their papers as he watched them with amusement, then handed them back.

"What did you two get?" Madoka asked. "Did you get R&D like you wanted?"

"No," Kurumi answered slowly.

Manami looked over at Kurumi's papers, then her own. "We didn't."

"Why not? If you two weren't the qualified, then..."

"We got Military Intelligence," Manami answered breathlessly.

Madoka gasped. "Wow. That's..."

"Unbelievable," Kyosuke muttered.

Kurumi elbowed him in the side as she and Manami moved away talking to each other about the new development.

"And how about you, son?" the man asked as Kyosuke handed his papers over.

"Mobile infantry, sir," he answered weakly. Fighting had never really been his strong suit, and especially not with guns. He had never even seen a gun in person.

"That's what I like to hear. We need all the good young men we can get. You're the backbone of the entire military."

Kyosuke barely maintained his smile as his papers were handed back to him.

***

"I'm sorry."

"You... you don't need to be." Kyosuke quirked a smile, trying to appear somewhat brave. "Hey, that's just the way things work out sometimes, right?"

Madoka stared into his eyes for a moment before nodding once. "Right."

"Hey, we'll still see each other. Right?"

Madoka nodded, quickly wiping away a stray tear.

Kyosuke took a small step forward, the other people around them forgotten. Tentatively, he put his arms around Madoka and hugged her gently, feeling her arms surround him. "I WILL see you again," he whispered to her.

Madoka nodded, staying silent.

They pulled apart, a kind of pitiful heroic look on Kyosuke's face. Madoka looked gravely serious, even when she turned away.

"I have to go," she said, picking up her bag. "My flight is about to leave." Madoka backed away slowly until she was inside the shuttle, passing longing looks with Kyosuke.

The door shut between them and Kyosuke raised one hand in a feeble gesture of goodbye, then watched Madoka be spirited away... Away from him.

Looking forlornly as the shuttle moved away, Kyosuke looked over at the gate he was supposed to board his own shuttle. He knew, was positive that he had no future through that gate, but...

***

Kyosuke kept his eyes trained forward, squinting from the bright glare of the sun. He was standing up straight, sucking in his gut, and trying not to show any fear. The imposing man stalking back in forth in front of him wasn't helping.

"Do I make myself CLEAR?"

"Sire, yes sir!" they all replied at a respectable volume.

Nodding, eyeing them all, the drill instructor was about to dismiss the group when another prospective soldier, carrying the standard issue duffle and still clothed in the field jumpsuit, walked up quickly and stood at attention in front of him.

He looked at her skeptically at which point, she handed him some papers.

"Sir, Private Hiyama reporting, sir!"

The sergeant looked at the papers. "Private, it says you requested to be transferred to this outift. And why would you do something like that?"

"Sir, because it's the best, sir!"

"The lady knows what she's talking about."

Kyosuke looked at her and couldn't help the momentary grimace that graced his features.

Hikaru slid her eyes over to look at him, then looked forward again.

***

Madoka watched the vidclip, smiling. Kyosuke... he looked healthy. Maybe not happy, but in a time of war, who could be happy? She knew that as soon as the time came and she was asked to perform her flight duties under pressure, she wouldn't be feeling quite as happy as she was now.

-<I miss you everyday. I know that once this whole thing is over with...>- The image of Kyosuke smiled. -<I'll see you again, very soon.>-

Madoka smiled and prepared to make her reply. Their lives had parted, but... Her love for him was greater than her desire to fulfill her dreams.


Updated 7-22-98